I have a cooker hood fitted in the kitchen of my new home. Does this satisfy the guidance on extract ventilation given in Approved Document F (2006)?

Yes, if the hood extracts the air to outside the building and provides at least the minimum intermittent or continuous extract rate (as appropriate) given in Table 1.1a of Approved Document F (2006).

No, if the hood only filters the air and recirculates it back into the kitchen. This is because the purpose of extract ventilation is to remove polluted air at source and draw fresh air into the building to replace it. A recirculating cooker hood only removes certain pollutants, and does not draw fresh air into the building, so does not provide extract ventilation.

I am replacing the kitchen and/or bathroom in an existing house. Must I fit extract fans?

If any of the work you are doing in the kitchen or bathroom is ‘building work’, as defined in regulation 3 of the Building Regulations, the Regulations require that you do not make compliance with other requirements of the Regulations, including ventilation, worse than before. The Regulations also require you to notify a building control body before you start work that you will be carrying out ‘building work’.

The definition of ‘building work’ in regulation 3 of the Building Regulations includes a range of building activities in existing buildings.

If you carry out any ‘building work’, and there is an existing extract fan or passive stack ventilator (or cooker hood extracting to outside in the kitchen), you should retain or replace it. However, if there is no existing ventilation system you need not provide one.
Replacing an extract fan or cooker hood with a similar type, and using the existing cabling, is not building work, and so need not be notified to a building control body.

I am fitting a kitchen and bathroom in a new extension to an existing house. What are the ventilation requirements?

Regulation 3 of the Building Regulations defines an extension to an existing house as ‘building work’. Consequently, normal building control notification procedures will apply. All new work must comply with the applicable requirements of Schedule 1 to the Regulations, including any electrical work which must comply with Part P of Schedule 1 to the Regulations, and the ventilation which must comply with Part F.

Section 3 of Approved Document F (2006) provides guidance on how to comply with the ventilation requirements for work on existing buildings. In particular, paragraphs 3.11 – 3.15 are relevant because they apply to the addition of a ‘wet room’. Both kitchens and bathrooms are classed as wet rooms for Approved Document F (2006).


IEE regulations for bathrooms
Bathrooms are defined as areas of increased electrical hazard. According to the Requirements for Electrical Installations, IEE Wiring Regulations 17th Edition, it is necessary to fit ventilation products that meet a minimum of IPX4 in zones 1 and 2 of a bathroom. This means that when installed and connected electrically, the product should prevent the ingress of water splashing and remain electrically safe in use.